Let me begin by saying no matter how surrendered to Christ we may be, because we are still human, we make mistakes daily. Although I do everything in my power and by his grace not to live a lifestyle of sin, every now and then, I realize I need to repent for lying, gossiping, gluttony and so forth. This is the life of the average believer, or at least so it should be! The life of a Pastor, Prophet, Evangelist or anyone called into the fivefold ministry should be even purer. Or is it really? In our miracle seeking world today, I see believers putting ministers of the gospel on a pedestal and then get very disappointed when the minister falls in sin. I see some believers who do not even care whether the fruits of the spirit can be seen in the minister’s life as long as they can get a miracle from the minister. The man or woman of God becomes a miracle factory in our eyes and so we run from crusade to crusade looking for miracles. We pay huge sums of money to sew seeds that should grow our miracles, we spend valuable time on the road from city to city, church to church and we tell everyone how we are believing God for something. Sometimes our miracle comes and we become the official PR of the miracle factory. We tell everyone about how our new god is wonderful. After a while we find ourselves back in a rot and the PR machine starts to sing a different tune; the prophet is now considered fake, all he wanted was our money. We suddenly realize that the prophet is a womanizer, he lacks integrity, he has been using Church money for personal pleasure. Hmmm, what just happened here? Let’s get a few things straight:
– the minister is human just like you and I, he is not a god and never will be no matter how many miracles he performs. Do not pursue miracles, seek Jesus!
– To err is human therefore the fact that you discover a ministers faults does not make them fake. We fall and get back up again by God’s grace. Does the minister reflect the fruits of the spirit in their lives and are they truly repentant when they sin?
– Yes, some ministers are indeed Charlatans, the devil goes to Bible School, gets ordained and preaches in Church every Sunday or holds miracle crusades from city to city. This is why you need discernment. Matt 7:20 says: ‘Therefore by their fruits you will know them’. Miracles are not fruits, they are signs and wonders.
– The sons of Sceva tried to perform signs and wonders without Jesus. Acts 19:14-15 Seven sons of a Jewish high priest named Sceva were doing this. But the evil spirit answered them, “Jesus I know, and Paul I recognize, but who are you?”
So if you are thinking about the next crusade to attend or the next Prophet to follow, ask yourself these questions:
– what are you really after?
– Could you be spending money running around from crusade to crusade to buy a miracle from a prophet who may not be a true servant of God? Do you see the fruits of the spirit in the Prophet?
– What are your true motives?
– If the devil were giving handouts at a mall near you, would you show up and receive it just because it meets your needs or satisfies your desires?
– If all a true Prophet of God had to offer was the word of God would you spend the same time, energy and money to seek after the word of God?
– Do you realize how much you would grow in Christ if you spent all this time drawing nearer to God? Your anointing would increase and God himself would answer your prayers.
– Rather than run after miracles, have you thought about what you can contribute to that crusade or to that Prophet’s ministry? Can you give so others can benefit too rather than just take?
I want to encourage you to start running after Jesus and He will give you all you are looking for. Don’t get me wrong, nothing wrong with attending crusades and honoring powerful men and women of God but the prophet cannot solve all your problems. Also, the prophet is not fake just because you did not get your miracle from them. And if you don’t get your miracle this side of heaven, if you seek Jesus, you will have eternal life. Salvation through Christ and subsequently eternal life is the greatest miracle you can ever pursue! The Bible says in Matt 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.